EA Says No Battlefield For Next Couple of Years
EA is Putting the Brakes on Battlefield for a Few Years
According to EA, Battlefield will be taking the next couple of years off.
Speaking at the Nasdaq Investor Programme, EA’s chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen said that EA:
“…won’t have another Battlefield back for a couple of years. Next year we’ll have Battlefront, the Star Wars game.”
This news comes despite Battlefield 1‘s positive reception from critics and strong sales with the game surpassing launch week sales of Battlefield 4 and Battlefield Hardline.
The publisher is instead opting to build a bigger and better Star Wars Battlefront for next year addressing some of the criticisms leveled at the original last year:
“We were very excited about how Star Wars [Battlefront] came out last year.
“It’s a beautiful game, people loved it. I think if there was criticism they just wanted more. And so we’re taking that criticism to heart as we build the next game and trying to address any of the issues that they had.”
Jorgensen also mentioned that the game will be able to use more of the content from the more recent films such as The Force Awakens as Star Wars Battlefront launched just prior to the film so was limited in what it could use.
EA faced some criticism from fans due to the lack of a traditional single player campaign in the game.
EA recently celebrated Star Wars Battlefront’s one year anniversary and announced Battlefront’s Rogue One: Scarif DLC which will launch on December 6.
Star Wars Battlefront is expected to launch in late 2017.